Woman to Woman
10 Ways to Cope with Anxiety and Depression
Do you have anxiety or depression? If so, you are not alone. In fact, 1 in 4 people suffer from these disorders at some point in their life. Luckily, there are many ways to cope with these disorders.
- Get moving: Research shows that exercise can be as effective as medication for treating depression and anxiety.
- Connect with others: Isolation only makes things worse, so reach out to family and friends, or join a support group.
- Talk it out: Don’t bottle things up, talk to a therapist or counselor about what’s going on.
- Make time for fun: Do things that make you happy and foster a positive outlook.
- Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep can aggravate anxiety and depression, so make sure you’re getting enough shut-eye.
- Eat healthily: A nutritious diet is essential for both physical and mental health.
- Limit alcohol: Alcohol can worsen anxiety and depression symptoms, so it’s important to drink in moderation or not at all.
- Challenge negative thinking: Thoughts can influence mood, so try to reframe negative thinking patterns into more positive ones.
- Be mindful: Mindfulness meditation has been shown to be helpful for managing anxiety and depression.
- Seek professional help: If self-help measures aren’t enough, don’t hesitate to seek professional treatment from a psychiatrist or other mental health provider.